Compact affordable digital printing
- Xaar 1001 Ink Jet Heads – the leading inkjet technology
- Four Colour UV Inks - print onto many different materials, including plastics
- Baldwin water-cooled UV drier - very high power, broad spectrum, cool UV
- Short run labels - very quick set up, no plate costs – the power of digital print
- Variable data printing - sequential barcodes – quality like laser printing
- Roll-to-roll, with optional diecutting built in, or run pre-cut, or pre-printed labels
- Three models - 70mm print width (4 heads), 140mm print width (8 heads) or 210mm print width (12 heads)
You could make a small printing machine using Xaar 1001 inkjet heads
- Narrow width, one print head is 70mm wide.
- Web-fed, roll-to-roll
- Four colour CMYK, UV inks
You could use this to print labels, tickets and so on which are usually made on wider flexo, offset or letterpress machines, then slit down. Keep it simple, and it should be relatively inexpensive, and a real winner for short runs and variable data, with no plate costs, and very quick set-up times. It should complement existing long-run printing machines by producing the short runs more cost effectively – in fact its running speed means the runs don’t have to be so short… Running costs should compare favourably with other digital methods…
Refining the idea
It turns out that although some products would indeed fit into the 70mm print width of a single Xaar head, many standard labels don’t, but most would fit into 140mm (two heads wide). So we should allow the extra complication of eight heads (two per colour) instead of four – the additional cost is not so much, and it’s justified by the much greater range of jobs the machine could do. And if we’re going to allow two rows of heads, it seems a shame not to allow three – 210 mm – and miss out on A4 width printing. So, three machine options with 70mm, 140mm or 210mm print width.
Offline or online?
Many label producers would like to integrate an inkjet position into an existing printing press – perhaps a digital print tower, so that you could use all the facilities of the press at the same time. But at the moment Xaar 1001 heads have a maximum running speed of 25 metres per minute, while most existing presses usually run much faster than this. Also it may not be so simple to control the inkjet printing in a printing press, mechanically, electronically and then there’s the software…. Offline seems attractive because 25 metres per minute is fine for a small machine with a modest hourly cost rate, and it should waste less material too.
Not All, but significant amount Industrial Stuff
Unless you've taken Machine Shop in High School, it's hard to appreciate the expense and complexity of High End Machine tools. Here's a site that brokers them...check out where most of the stuff is going...
"# Sep 13, 2000 (2778): Glass Lined Reactor of China
P.R.China: Large-size manufacturing enterprise in China. Authorised the license of " Import and Export Right" by the State Council in 1994.Competitive supplier for Chemical Equipment, Blowing Agent AC, DMC (Dimethyl Carbonate), PG (Propylene Glycol). Glass-lined Reactor: 50L--30,000L; Glass-lined Storage Tank: 100L--50,000L; Glass-lined Heat Exchanger
Brother Printer MFC7360N Monochrome Printer with Scanner, Copier & Fax and built in Networking
CE (Brother Printer)
- Print and copy up to 24ppm
- Built-in Ethernet network interface
- 35-page capacity auto document feeder
- Adjustable, 250-sheet capacity paper tray, plus manual feed slot
- Up to 2400 x 600 dpi print resolution
HP Multipurpose Copy/Laser/Inkjet Paper, 96 Brightness, 20 lb, Letter Size (8.5 x 11), 500 Sheets (11200-0)
Office Product (Hewlett Packard Office)
- Acid-free for archival quality.
- High-bright paper for everyday use.
- ColorLok(TM) technology resists smears and captures bolder blacks and brighter colors.
- Ream of 500 sheets
- Easy to print, iron on, and peel off
- Optimized for laser printing
Brother P-Touch QL-500 Manual-Cut PC Label Printing System
Office Product (Brother Printer)
- Up to 50 standard address labels per minute
- Easy to load drop-in supplies, auto sensor
- Integrated Add-ins for Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Custom layouts with barcodes, graphics, TrueType fonts
- Connects easily to PC via a USB port