Not all photo centers are up to date yet on the new square photo craze….to print your Instagram or Hipstamatic type photos it can be expensive and hit-or-miss. I don’t like when someone tells me something can’t be done…..so after almost every single retail photo center told me they couldn’t print 4″ x 4″ square photos for me I was determined to figure out my own way. Below is my method for printing the square photos and it works at any photo center…..here are the reasons I like doing it this way:
1. I can upload my photos at full resolution at Costco (which is where I print most of my photos). At Costco, they are saved on the system so I can print them 4×6 or crop them later to print 12″x12″ (i.e. I don’t have to reformat photos more than once!)
2. 4×6 photos are always the least expensive to print! I can print as many Instagram photos as I want for 13 cents at Costco or 15 cents at Target etc.
3. A few photo centers can print Instagram photos now through mobile apps but I haven’t found one that prints matte or lustre yet…and their price is too high. I love the lustre finish at Costco so this method works for that!
4. Minimal cutting. I have a long pair of scissors and I can cut the white space off quickly without having to worry about cutting another photo that might be next to it (if I had printed a collage).
5. It meets 1 hour photo requirements!
Note: If you don’t have Photoshop Elements, it’s pretty inexpensive to purchase and definitely worth the price to be able to quickly edit your photos! I use it for basic photo edits, drawing and adding text etc.
First, you need to download your Instagram photos. If you have the “Save to Library” setting set to “ON” in your Instagram settings you should be able to just download them by plugging your phone into your computer. If they aren’t on your phone you can go to, log into your account and just drag the photos to your desktop. that lets you download all your photos in a zip file. Once you have your Instagram photos downloaded you can start resizing them:
If you or a friend knows photoshop
You could totally do that yourself. It looks like they are just printed on photo paper. You could make the design yourself and print it at the instant machines in most any drugstore. I saw someone do baby announcements that way, very cute. They are about 29 cents each. Or you could use snapfish.com or one of them for printing. I don't have an account so I don't know how they compare, but they have some photo cards too.
I think I could even do a design for you, like the ones you showed.